It's official... Fall has left us and winter is in full effect!
Every season has it's small personal battles, and in winter, it's mastering the art of finding that perfect coat. The beauty of the coat challenge is that once you've found it, you probably won't need to look again for a very long time. The catch being that it's nearly impossible to find it in the first place.
Fortunately for me, I found my perfect coat at the end of last winter (and even managed to get it on sale!). The first time I saw the Sézane Johnston camel coat it was definitely love at first sight. This coat is one of my wardrobe staples that works for just about any occasion. Brisk walk to get coffee? Camel coat. Casual weekend getaway? Camel coat. Off to flash someone but it's too cold for a trench? Camel coat, camel coat, camel coat.
Here are a few tips to finding that perfect winter coat:
1. Invest in Quality - Buy the best you can afford and read every label carefully! Cheap acrylics and polyester won't keep you warm in a snow storm. Make sure you're buying something of quality, especially if you're getting spendy.
2. Be Prepared for Disappointment - Try on lots of coats until you find the right one. And try not to be discouraged by the failures; persistence and optimism are key.
3. Be Patient - This will come in handy when you're trawling through an avalanche of coats. If you're going to find the perfect coat you need to see ALL the coats, which will take time. A frazzled and bored coat hunter is never going to come up with the goods.
4. Have Enough Room to Wear Layers Underneath - This should go without saying, but I wanted to make a point of this. Not having enough room for layers is the most restricting uncomfortable thing on earth.
5. Know Your Body - Knowing exactly what you're looking for in terms of what suits your body best (calf-length, knee-length, hooded, collared, double-breasted, tie-waist, button-up, etc.) will ease the process by eliminating a swath of coats that don't suit you.
Sézan Johnston Coat (also comes in Black and Plum).
IRO Black Turtleneck - similar here.
Citizens of Humanity Liya Fade Out (denim).
Marc Fisher LTD 'Alisa' Pointy Toe Chelsea Boots in Black Suede.
Other Awesome Coats: